Tip of the Week!

Say Goodbye to Bottled Water

It is estimated that we Americans spent over $15 billion last year on bottled water.  That is more money than was spent on movie tickets and iPods.  When purchasing bottled water we are under the impression that we are being healthy.  The sad reality is that the Environmental Protection Agency’s standards for tap water are actually higher and more enforceable than the Food and Drug Administration’s are for bottled water.  Studies have even shown that bottled water is less regulated and more contaminated than tap water!  Another sad truth, when purchasing bottled water, we are only paying 10% of the purchase price  for the water, the other 90% is the cost of plastic!  And, it is estimated that over 75% of plastic water bottles purchased end up in landfills.

The Solution

If you are still unsure about drinking water straight from the tap, purchase a water purifying pitcher.  I have used a Brita pitcher for years  and I love it!  You simply fill up the top portion of the pitcher with tap water and a charcoal filter filters the water into the bottom portion. You can then use this water for drinking, cooking, making ice cubes or whatever else you need water for.  The cost of a Brita pitcher is about $25 and the filter are $10 for 3 with each filter lasingt about a month or so depending on use. 


I would also suggest purchasing a reusable water bottle.  I have used the same Nalgene bottle for 8 years!  They are virtually indestructible!  My bottle has literally been around the world with me and I love it.  You can get any reusable water bottle, but get something to keep with you full of water so you are less tempted to purchase bottled water when you are on the go.

  

For more information check out these awesome websites on bottled water:
http://www.bottledwaterblues.com/bottled_water_facts.php
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/BottledWaterARiverOfMoney.aspx?GT1=10328

Say Goodbye to Bottled Water

 
 
 

 

Advertisements

6 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by Monica on August 9, 2010 at 10:49 pm

    Oh my goodness! I love the Nalgene water bottles. I have had mine for a few years now also and it is still just as great as the day I bought it. I try to take it everywhere with me! I also found that I drink probably three times as much water throughout the day if I just carry it along with me. I also just bought a britter filter and it was only $15, there are sales for them everywhere now. It is a great idea, and I wish I would have switched over to bottled water sooner. 🙂

    Reply

  2. Posted by Monica on August 9, 2010 at 10:50 pm

    ooops I mean FROM bottled water haha

    Reply

  3. Posted by Kathryn on August 11, 2010 at 8:51 pm

    Hi! I found it! I’ll visit many times… I really need to take you to get hummus at my favorite place sometime! 🙂

    Reply

  4. Posted by Shelley on September 1, 2010 at 9:19 am

    Sarah, this is your cousin Shelley in Oregon. Throw away your old Nalgene bottle!! Nalgene bottles are made with BPA plastic which can leach into your water (especially if you leave it in your car in the heat). BPA is a chemical that is used in the production of some plastic products and is an endocrine disruptor, which can mimic the body’s own hormones and may lead to negative health effects (like diabetes, obesity, heart disease, etc). You should try getting Contigo water bottles to give you some samples to try. I bought mine at Costco and they are fantastic! BPA free and easy to clean and drink from (no lid to remove). They also make a stainless steel version for hot drinks. BPA may also be a good item to add to your blog – most tin cans that contain food are now lined with BPA!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: